The achievement of the time honored six pack is like having a fine sports car. The fine tuned european driving machine needs special treatment, 100 part tune-ups, special oil, premium gas, hand washing/ detailing. You need to be careful where u park and who sits in the back. No one gets to eat a juicy hamburger and fries while driving. And generally for many drivers, ownership is almost like a part time job and at times drives them crazy.
Just like the 6 pack.
Nice to look at, but it comes with a price tag.
And you know what, it’s never on sale.
This is a 4 step revelation of what novice gym people do wrong in the gym in 2011.
They get bored, they get hurt, they end up falling off the proverbial wagon before the month of January is over. Ie.
- Do the same repetitive routine they did last January that isn’t going to work this year either. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting the same result. Break out of your routine and enjoy brand new results!
- They eat more sports bars and drinks during their workouts which sabotages their intended weight loss goals. The last thing you want to do is eat high calorie snacks with your new exercise regimen. We love Greens+ from Genuine Health. It is a great tasting, refreshing greens drinks that is not filling but is packed with nutrients.
- They TEXT and talk on their cell phones between exercises slowing down the weight loss momentum. TEXTING your BFF and telling them you hate your butt is not going to make it any smaller. Stretch between sets or better yet, do the mixed methods exercises Kary outlines on our recent TV appearance on CKCO noon news Kitchener www.ctv.ca Friday January 7th
- They go too hard and fast too soon and get injured. Inch by inch life’s a cinch. Yard by yard it’s hard. Enjoy your fitness journey and love the process. Being married to your result with loving the “in the moment doing” creates a daily “grind” approach to wellness
Email us any questions anytime on firstname.lastname@example.org or watch out for our next media appearance
Uche Odiatu BA, DMD, NSCA Certified Personal Trainer
8:15 am CST - Dr Uche just finished a LIVE radio interview on 920 AM CKNX in Canada
NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS: SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS VS FAILURE
Reasons are fine and dandy, but the experts have already hit Canadians over the head with every possible reason to eat healthy and be active
1. Live longer – 3 traits of long livers: education, independence, and exercise
2. Smarter: 50% less chance of Alzheimer’s – second most feared diagnosis after cancer
3. Sexier – more active – toned and lean and more attractive like the TV actors and models we all stare at 20-35 hours a week
4. Healthier – less chance of heart disease – the #1 killer in North America (2000 per day)
But Uche, I don’t have the time….
Kary has online coaching clients that she helps everyday that have issues with discipline. Is it really discipline or is it just that they have crappy systems in place to be healthy So here is a 4 part action plan for SUCCESS in 2011:
- Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning – put it beside your bed. After oxygen, it is the #1 nutrient we need and most of us are chronically dehydrated (bad breathe, constipation, HBP, wrinkles)
- Eat a big breakfast. University of Texas study showed that eating at least 400 calorie meal takes an edge off your hunger not just in the morning, but all day! And it’s a good vicious cycle. Eat less at nite and you will wake up hungry the next day.
- Forget the 3 x a week model trainers tell you. You have to get active everyday or you are edging yourself towards an early demise. ANCIENT BODIES with ancient DNA and cellular memory whispering in our ear move or die. Recent study reported that 78% of people would exercise if it was more convenient ie door gym, stationary bike, yoga mat, stability ball, DB’s, exercise DVD’s.
- Cut back on TV – remove some of your 500 channels as channel surfing leads to increased TV watching. You will always find something half decent to watch.
A recent Dutch study showed daily active lives of 19th C settlers was 1.6x higher than today. Equivalent of 3-8 miles.
NEW YEARS – most people are celebrating with sweet treats and booze. The onslaught of sugar overloads most people’s inactive bodies and throws their physiology into a tailspin.
- if there’s a dog, offer to walk it
- sit or stand more than 6ft away from the buffet table – FOODLAB at Cornell U
- eat a big breakfast.
- Drink a glass of water first thing in the AM
- Turn on the TV to watch it only if you have something to specifically to look at
- Focus on connecting with your family and friends vs the food. GLIB, but the increase in “tend and befriend” hormone of oxytocin. KEY? Feel Good – EAT LESS!
Read the full article online
Dr Odiatu gives several quotes as contribution to the Nov 23rd 2010 Toronto Sun article
Can’t wait to share some energy and enthusiams with the adminstration at the University of Toronto Friday October 29th.
I have a 60 minute power packed agenda. Engagement, entertainment and fun is the theme. By minute 59 each and everyone will know what it feels like first hand to move, feel, and take action on their health and fitness dreams and goals.
No worries, it is a gentle call to action.
I need to get 8 hours sleep myself tonight so I can sort out memories/emotions/ and repair and rejuvenate from a busy Thursday in Hogtown!
See you tomorrow
Take a look @ the hottest bodies of 2010 summer http://www.menshealth.com/summerbodies/? and get motivated to have a salad or go for a walk
The sad part is most people start fitness or weight loss programs, but fail to continue them on a consistent basis.
What is the secret to ongoing self -motivation? We all know people who have been double dog dared to lose weight. Well they lose some weight, celebrate the weight loss and then start eating again after they won the bet.
How does one keep it off for good? Have fun doing it? Not have to resort to plastic surgery, lipo or drastic diets?
We have been studying the masters for the last 15 years. At the same time we have both been regular exercisers, had three kids, travelled, worked at demanding careers, and maintained healthy body weights. Oh yeah, and Kary has competed at a world class level in women’s fitness competitions.
Have we fallen off the wagon a few times? Yes. But the key was getting right back on without postponing a new start date (for many New Years).
Try these simple strategies today:
1. Aim to eat no boxed or canned food for three days and see how you look and feel
2. Stand or walk whenever you are on a telephone to keep your metabolism active. Not only will you sound more alert and alive, you will also burn more calories
3. Write down a single weight loss or fitness goal on the back of your business card and look at it 7 times a day to keep it in your subconscious. Awareness or consciousness is CAUSE vs. the physical world (which is the effect). Most people work very hard at the physical world, but never on the CAUSE (thoughts & feelings)
Until next time
Okay, how amazing is that?
Here’s a dude that was huge for all of his life and now at 58 has dropped down to under 200 at 6′2″
And you want to know how?
A special workout?
No!!!! He eats loads of vegetables. Got rid of all junk fund at home.
He’s no longer smoking and drinking heavy.
Move more - eat less works. Give it a try.
What do you have to lose? 5 maybe 10 pounds?
Email us for guidance. We just came back from New Orleans where we were speaking to audiences
at this huge confetence
We are at the airport this morning heading to the NSA national convention in Orlando.
Inch by inch, weight loss is a cinch
Uche and Kary
Authors of The Miracle of Health
How can a woman lose weight without working out like a maniac?
The answer to this is always surprising to people who receive it. First, let’s define metabolism. It is the total biochemical reactions to break apart the fats, protein, carbs and to set free the energy they hold. There are three metabolic processes. The largest that takes place is the 60% of calories needed to keep you alive (maintain your lungs breathing, heart pumping, etc). Next is the 25% of your calories used up digesting the food you eat. This is called the thermic effect of food. If you have ever noticed feeling hotter when you eat, you would have felt this metabolic influence. The remainder – 15% - comes from physical activity. Physical activity can be broken into two categories: N.E.A.T. (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) and Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. The latest research has demonstrated that people who lead active lives can burn more calories overall than people who sit at a desk and workout 5 days a week. Increase your N.E.A.T. How? The easiest way to lose weight is to get more active on the job (walk to people’s desks vs. text them; use the stairs vs the elevator; have a walking meeting vs. sitting in chairs). How to get active in your personal life. Stand or walk when you talk on the phone (30 minutes of standing uses 40 more calories than if you sat while you chatted on the phone).
And too muscular? One thing you do not have to worry about is getting muscular overnight. Women have 10-20 times less testosterone than men and therefore can not build muscle to the extent that men can. You can always do a maintenance program when you are in the exact shape you want to be.
Healthy Body – Healthy Mouth: the Inflammation Connection
v Eat a healthy diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables to support good health and healing. Foods rich in refined carbohydrates are major causes of chronic inflammation J. AM Coll Cardiol 2008 Snacking on high fat, high sugar food all day leads to chronic inflammatory pathogens J AM Coll Cardiol 2008. Diet induced hyperlipidemia creates oxidative stress and inflammation. Circ 2005
v Limit or avoid processed meats: lunch meats, hot dogs and sausages contain nitrites and sulphites that are associated with increased inflammation ~Western Regional Dental Conference presentation The Body – Mouth Connection March 5th 2010
v Limit or avoid high glycemic foods or “JUNK FOOD” as they support inflammation in your body. From the Department of Clinical Nutrition, Food and Health Research Centre, University of Kuopio, Finland May 2008
v If you like fish and are not allergic to sea food, aim to eat 2-4 servings of fish a week. This helps to decrease inflammation in your body. If it is not convenient to cook fish, purchase a fish oil supplement. 1000 mg of fish oil a day has been suggested by experts for a healthy person. (SPECIAL NOTE: People who are on blood thinners should not consume omega 3 supplements or fish oil capsules without their doctor’s approval). ~ You – Staying Young. Dr Mehmet OZ © 2007 Simon and Schuster
v Aim to reach or maintain a healthy weight. Even a 5% weight loss in an overweight person may get a reduction in CRP, interleukin-6 and other markers of inflammation.” ~ University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento
v Get a good night sleep. A single night of disrupted ZZZZ’s can stimulate inflammation in your body. Biological Psychiatry, Volume 64, Issue 6 (September 15, 2008), published by Elsevier.
v Maintain a regular exercise program. Researchers at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta (Nov 2007) who measured the effects of an eight-week yoga regimen on 19 heart failure patients found the exercise routine reduced markers of inflammation.
v Aim for more balance in your life by relaxing and managing stress. Men with high levels of hostility, anger and depression show increases in a key marker of inflammation over time. Brain, Behavior and Immunity, August 2007.